Monday, January 12, 2026

This One Rewired My Brain Chemistry: On Phone Addiction + A Thing I Crocheted

I was recommended this video a couple days ago (incidentally, while doomscrolling the YouTube homepage). Since watching it I couldn't stop thinking about it. 

Thinking about it, it's quite obvious, isn't it? When you need something to do with your hands and for many, there aren't other things around, plus when the phone has become a body part, that you reach for it?

She has recommended other things to do instead of phone usage. I especially like her crochet suggestion and actually crocheted a scarf over the holidays. However, what to crochet next? I don't really know how to look for patterns and my efforts in trying to do so basically only wielded feminine clothing items that I don't like (partially for gender reasons), items I won't have any use for or that clash with my aesthetic sensibilities, and the aforementioned scarf has been the exception. If you have any suggestions or tips, please do tell!

On second thought, blogging is also an anti-phone activity, and so far, I'm enjoying it! 

The scarf, I followed a pattern by devout hand.

 

2 comments:

  1. I actually watched that video a couple weeks ago and it's definitely stuck with me too! My big goal for this year is to fight off my phone addiction, and I think I've only been successful so far because I'm constantly finding other things to do with my hands. It's really forced me to get back into my hobbies and studying. I like the scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to get back into crochet since I've been the kind to get a kit or start a project and then abandon it for 6 months at a time. I'll check out the video when I find my earbuds :p
    Maybe if you don't want to do accessories, would amigurumi be more in your interests? Just creating lil guys could be fun

    ReplyDelete