Sunday, March 22, 2026

Take the Unknown Road, Or, Impressions from My Walk

The sun is shining, the pollen is starting to get to me, but I went.

Instead of taking my usual route, I chose the road less traveled, deliberately exploring the little roads I'd never walked, opening my senses to what I would find. Still, I had my sunglasses and noise-cancelling headphones, but without music this time. Sensory accomodations that I need.

I saw:

  • people on their balcony, enjoying the Sunday sun
  • a white blouse on a hanger, swining in the light breeze, below it pink flowers
  • the pink-purple buds of a tree
  • a turqoise metallic car
  • so many houses with barn-style roofs
  • pieces of litter that make me contemplate taking gloves and a trash bag next time
  • one yellow house, and one salmon colored house. all other houses were shades of cream and beige, with various pale pastels mixed in
  • a little purple wildflower bursting through a crack in the concrete
  • one timber-framed house
  • chickens behind a fence, making chicken noises
  • people actually having little gardens and outdoor spaces. out of my window it's block city
  • a shiny stone in the gravel on a construction site
  • the tiniest most adorable row house
  • fancy in-ground bike stands on one property. that struck me as very unusual 
  • a house with an arched panoramic window and the way the roof tiles were curving on top of it 
  • my favorite car in the neighborhood parking in its spot, and another one i really liked beside it
  • some bulk trash sitting on the side of the road. i contemplated taking one of the planter pots but ultimately decided against it. there were some extremely 80s nightstands 
  • fancy garden decorations that seemed like fairytale children's heads, but instead of a body there was just a stick. disturbing 
  • a very old couple on a walk, and a young couple on a walk
  • two women fixing something on a car
  • some cobblestone streets. and some very broken concrete 
  • so many broom bushes in the neighborhood. i really like the yellow flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment